Saturday, September 18, 2010

SCIFNTMBWHAGWMHSM

It's time for my first rant.

Why is it that people in Italy feel that they have the right to be passionately, desperately, publicly in love? Especially when I am clearly without eyes to meet, a hand to hold, a lap to sit on, or lips to kiss.

Last night I was at the Duomo waiting to meet up with some friends, and while I was waiting, two young lovers took it upon themselves to sit down not too far from me and make me insanely jealous by playing some rather intense tonsil hockey for 20 minutes. I kid you not. These kids, who were no more than 16 years old, were making out, full force on the steps of the Duomo, one of the most recognized and amazing cathedrals in all the world. Once I got past the shock of what was happening, I grew very irritated. Why is it fair for them to be in love and make out while I am forced to be apart from my boyfriend for four months? Actually, it's not. I should have told them that.

It seems that everyone in this country is in love. People everywhere are holding hands and giggling together and swapping little kisses (or big, long, dramatic kisses) and some are just flat out sucking face. I saw at least six brides walking around the streets of Florence and Cinque Terre in the first three weeks of my time here. It's impossibly romantic and touching. I love being surrounded by all this love. However, it's getting old without someone around to enjoy it with. And by enjoy it with I mean someone to hold hands with and kiss and take pictures in front of the Duomo with.

So that's why I've decided to start a Send-Colin-to-Italy-For-the-Next-Three-Months-to-Be-With-His-Amazing-Girlfriend-Who-Misses-Him-So-Much fund. I'm calling it SCIFNTMBWHAGWMHSM. It's a little lengthy, I know, but I think it really gets the point across well. If you would like to donate (as I'm sure all of you would), you may contact me by sending me an email at sarahmklooster@gmail.com. You may also send donations to me at:

Sarah Klooster
ACM Florence Program
c/o Linguaviva Scuola d'Italiano
Via Fiume 17
50123 Florence
ITALY

Make sure to declare "NO VALUE" or the mean mail people will take your donation and it will not make it to me and that would be horrible. I'm guessing we'll need about $2500-3000 for this to work, so start giving people. We could also call the fund Christmas in September for Sarah and Colin, CSSC. I know you guys will respond to the call with enthusiasm. Thanks. You're amazing. In the meantime, while I wait for the money to start pouring in, I will spend my days trying to avoid those shameless PDA couples who are so effectively making the rest of us unbearably jealous.

Thanks again. Love you all tons and tons. Enough to kiss you all night in front of the Duomo where everyone can see. Well, maybe not all of you, but most of you. Until next time...

xo Sarah

P.S. I told you I would be more diligent about writing to you all. That's two days in a row now! I might even write tomorrow too, if I have something to say. But I don't want to wear myself out, so maybe not. We'll see...

P.P.S. If you would like to view the beautiful couple you are donating to, please refer to the picture at right.

No comments:

Post a Comment