Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Compare where you are and where you wanna be and you'll get nowhere.

I've had some revelations recently.

[I know that I quickly established myself as a highly comedic and sassy blogger, but I would now like to reveal to you all my softer side, my I'm-having-a-not-so-good-day-and-therefore-have-no-sass side. You can still expect ridiculous exaggerations, a few surreptitiously cheeky remarks, and the occasional sarcasm that I have proven to be of necessity for my writing. Please be gentle with my fragile, philosophical side. I know you will. Her name is Martha. Here she is.]

My first revelation was this: I am not the bold, fearless, vivacious, independent, big-adventure-in-Italy girl that I was so sure I was. I'm just not. And that's not easy for me to swallow. Until now, I imagined a life of living in the big city, far from home, doing my own thing, being the kind of woman little girls looked up to for her fierce independence and sassy attitude. Then I came to Italy. I am approximately six hundred billion miles from home, living in a city where, up until three weeks ago, I knew no one, and it's getting the best of me. Don't get me wrong, I love this place. I really do. I am obsessed with this country, this city, this culture, and these people. But I think I came here with a bravado that I think I subconsciously hoped would impress and reassure me, and instead, it did the opposite: it gave me a false sense of everything's-going-to-be-just-fine-you-won't-miss-home-at-all-because-you're-strong-and-independent-and-brave. Wrong. However, as I'm realizing this, I am also realizing something else...

...revelation number two: I am bold and vivacious and I can be independent and I am certainly sassy, even when I'm six hundred billion miles from home. I might not be all the way there, but I am learning quickly. I am finding encouragement in the small triumphs of everyday life. I feel a sense of pride every time I take the bus somewhere successfully (public transportation is a new thing for me...in Charlevoix I believe there are two taxis, and they don't get much work). I feel a strong sense of accomplishment when I easily find my way to a new location, using a map or not. Most of all, I find immense joy in learning this language and overcoming the language barrier that, until recently, was incredibly daunting and seemed impossible to overcome. But I'm doing it! I am using the conditional tense to politely ask for directions, I am using new vocab to order food and ask questions and help people who ask me questions. I am so proud! I'm doing so well. And this makes me feel all the more bold and independent. The sassy thing, well, I guess I never should have said that I was doubting that I can be sassy. I am very well aware of the fact that I am sassy all the time, even here. I'm sure you all know that well too. 

Let's move on to another of my revelations: family is a precious gift. Of corse I already knew that, but I am realizing it more and more as my family is six hundred billion miles away, but also as new family members make surprise visits in my life. Let me explain. (But first let me preface this story by explaining to you non--Italians out there how the idea of family works in the Italian culture. My mom has a cousin. I've never met her. She's my mysterious second cousin. My mom has another cousin. I've never met her either. She's also an unknown second cousin. My mom has 32,973,524 more cousins. I've never met any of them. They are all unknown, mysterious second cousins. I won't ever meet most of them. But if the day should ever arrive that I do meet them, it is protocol for us to hug and kiss and rejoice like we've just met the Queen and then to spend hours on end together like we're old best friends. So keep all that in mind as I tell you a story...) So my mom's cousin, Bridget, let's call her (because that's her name), owns an Italian restaurant in Ann Arbor and every year her and her husband, Michael, come to Italy with some of their clients. Their goal is to eat and drink their way around one or maybe two cities in Italy. This year was Bologna, with a little rendezvous in Florence for the last few days of the trip. Well, if Bridget was going to be in Florence while I'm here, it would be against the laws of Italian nature for her to not see me. So we met up. I had dinner with Bridget and Michael on Monday and lunch and a walk with them today. It was incredible. Something about family, whether it's your mom or a second cousin who's many years older (but not that many, right Bridget?) who you've never met, is good for your soul. Seeing Bridget and Michael reassured me that I can be far from my family and still be independent and confident and have an amazing time. Their presence renewed my spirit and made me excited for the rest of my trip. It was just what I needed. And since you all have become accustomed to seeing pictures of my life and my people and my adventures, I am including a picture of me and Bridget. It's pretty cute. Good thing I have such long arms, huh Bridge? Tell Michael thanks anyways :)

Finally, I have had one more revelation that I will share with you: Gelato is truly addicting and I need to join gelato addicts anonymous. Do not be alarmed if, when I return, I very much resemble the largest mammal in the world (the one that lives in the sea and eats kelp). I can't bear to say the name of this animal, because I am rapidly becoming one. Good grief. This is disastrous. 

That' all I have for you today. I hope you are all having nice lives. I miss you. I know you miss me too. You don't have to say it. Actually, I don't know if you miss me too. That was a lie. Usually when people miss someone, they tell that person that they miss them and they are thinking about them. However, the only people who have sent me mail (a request I made many moons ago) are my boyfriend and my mother. If you do not love me and do not miss me and do not think about me, please do not send me mail. If you did, you would be a sham. And I would be lured into thinking that you did love/miss/think about me often, and then I would be living a lie. And no one wants that. But I truly hope that there are some of you out there who are reading this blog for more than entertainment purposes and you actually do love/miss...okay you get the point. Send me mail if you love me. Please and thank you. You're wonderful (provided you send me mail). 

Love love love,
me

P.S. This is my shout out to Steph (what up homie?) and Amy (hello dear, how are you?). See you both tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment