Monday, November 22, 2010

Rome, in all it's glory. Or something like that.

Hello party people.

Rome was fantastic. It was overwhelming. I debated not spending several hours describing it all to you on here, but then, out of the goodness of my heart, and because I just love you all so very much, I decided I would write about it for you. So, as promised, here is a blog about Rome. Don't read it now if you don't have 34985 years to sit and read. I will try to keep it short, but it will probably take me that long to write about everything we did.

Here is a quick overview of the weekend:

Think of everything you can that exists in Rome (monuments, churches, tourist sites, museums, etc.). Okay, now add about 68 other smaller churches that you've never heard of and a couple palaces and villas. Add that all together. That's what we did. All of it. In four days. My feet hurt so bad they feel like they're bruised. Every time I take a step, it feels like I'm pushing on a big painful bruise. Wonderful times, really.

But actually, I LOVE ROME. I wouldn't go so far as to say I love it more than Venice, but I love love loved it. We saw some of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. The first thing we did (which I think remains my favorite) was go to the catacombs. We stopped at some that lie just outside the city walls on our way into Rome on Thursday. We were taken down into them by a guide who was very informational and helpful. In the catacombs we were in, there were more than five miles of tunnel. It was unbelievable. We saw some tombs that are still unopened, we saw some ancient frescos that are more than 1700 years old, and we saw what art historians have agreed is the first ever painted image of the Madonna and Child. For someone who has spent the last two and a half months looking at images of the Madonna and Child, that's incredible. It was an unreal experience. And it was very spiritual for me to be in the burial place of so many people who believed centuries ago what I believe today. I loved it. Lots and lots and lots.

After the catacombs, we checked into the hotel and had about an hour to prepare for the rest of the day. The rest of the day = the Vatican. If there was ever a place that can completely overwhelm you, it's the Vatican. We walked through the Vatican Museums, saw some of the old papal apartments and saw lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of art. Like, more than it was possible for me to process. However, I made sure to process all the highlights of the day, which were:
1. The Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo is truly the most talented man of his time, and maybe the rest of time.
2. Lots of works by Raphael. We saw School of Athens and all his other frescos in the room, which were all incredible. I loved that room. I really enjoy Raphael's work. He is one of my favorite artists.
3. The ancient statuary. It truly baffles me how these things survive for thousands and thousands of years.

After the Vatican, it was time for din. Din wasn't that great...kind of a disappointing first meal in Rome. The bar we found afterwards, however, was great. It was a good night. I had some yummy wine and some yummy cider, and then went home pretty early and SLEPT. I needed sleep.

However, eight o'clock came very early the next morning and it was time for our next excursion: the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and the Roman Forum. All of these were so so so so cool. Obviously the Colosseum is amazing, but it was made even more amazing by the fact that we were able to get special permission to go down into the foundations which just opened a few weeks ago (for the first time ever, I believe). That means we got to hang out where the gladiators and animals hung out before the show. Kind of like the backstage area. It was so cool. Then, also as part of our special tour, we got to go up onto the very top layer or floor or whatever it's called. Again, so cool. Above is a group picture of everyone in the program, teachers and all. Aren't we cute? We were at the highest point of the Colosseum and had the most beautiful view of the city. I made sure to take lots of pictures and then I just stared at the beauty of Rome for a while.

After the Colosseum, we headed out and towards Palatine Hill. Once we got to the top of Palatine Hill, we were literally standing in almost the exact same spot that Romulus founded Rome on. We saw the ruins of very, very old ancient circus stadiums, palaces, houses, and even the first huts of Rome. It was pretty unreal to be standing in the spot where civilization was begun. And again, I am still shocked and amazed at the fact that these buildings have survived for hundreds upon hundreds of years. They must have employed some quality masons back in the day.

Okay, I started this blog two weeks ago the day after I got back from Rome. (I would like to point out that I at least made an effort to be timely and efficient.) Then life happened. I got back from Rome, and wrote a paper the next day. Tuesday my friend Katie Anderson got here from Dublin and that put me on entertaining duty for the next five days until she left Friday night. Wednesday, the day after Katie got here, I had a big midterm for Gail. So the week after I got back from Rome was clearly busy and chaotic and so I was obviously unable to write. Then last week I had another paper to write and sleep to catch up on. All very good reasons to not write a blog in my opinion.

So here is the condensed version of the rest of my time in Rome:
After Palatine Hill, we went to the Roman forum and it was amazing. Then we had some free time. I decided to go to the Trevi Fountain and do some coin tossing and whatnot with some friends. First we went to lunch and then we made our way over there. The piazza was incredibly small. In the movies they make it look like there is some huge piazza with lots of people. There are certainly lots of people, but the piazza is far from huge. Anyways, after the Trevi, we went on a walking tour and saw the Pantheon, Santa Maria Maggiore, and the Four Rivers Fountain by Bernini in Piazza Narvona. I love Bernini's work so that was probably my favorite part of the day. It was truly a beautiful work of art. The next day brought Villa Farnese, Castel Sant'Angelo (which provided breathtakingly beautiful views of the city), lunch at the best salad place on the planet, and Villa Borghese. Two notes on our last day: first, besides the catacombs, the Villa Borghese was my favorite part of the trip. It housed several of Bernini's most amazing sculptures (his David, The Rape of Persephone, Apollo and Daphne, etc.) and seeing them was incredible. Second, this salad place was life-changing. They had the best and most unique salads I've ever heard of. I've included a picture of me and my salad. It had corn, carrots, olives, peppers, avocados, and feta cheese. It was superb. Really. I think I've found my calling in life: to open a salad restaurant like this place. I am officially obsessed. And that is Rome in a nutshell.

Now, I think instead of telling you about my trip to London in this blog, I will start a new one. Don't worry, I promise to finish it on the same day that I start it--today. I have nothing else to do today. I am home in bed, sick. I have a sinus infection and frankly I am pretty miserable. In fact, you lot should appreciate my writing at all. I am using what little energy I have to entertain you, you lucky minxes. Anyways, I will say farewell for now. I am going to take a little break before I write my London blog and finish watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, which happens to be my favorite movie of all time, in case you were wondering.

So, ciao for now. I will post again later this afternoon. Have a glorious few hours folks.

xo Sarahhhh

P.S. I had champagne gelato in Rome. It was crazy. I think it got me a little tipsy. Who knew gelato could get you drunk? Welcome to Italy, friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment