Sunday, October 10, 2010

I'm bored so I'm blogging. (I'm also avoiding homework so I'm blogging. Don't worry about it.)

It's time for a new blog.

Obviously.

I have more loves and misses to tell you about. Let's start with misses. I miss:
1. ...Michigan autumns. The leaves just don't change here the way they do in Michigan. Bummer.
2. ...my family (this is going to appear on all my misses lists, so get used to it. They're just way too wonderful to not be missed every second of every day).
3. ...Colin. So so so much.
4. ...the Gathering. How could I not miss being at the Gathering every Sunday night, worshiping with all you amazing folks at Hope?
5. ...MY DOGS. My host grandma (Nonna) has a little dog but he kind of sucks. All he does is sleep and beg for food. Not nearly as exciting as my dogs. But then again, how could any dog match the entertainment value of Codi (the reddish one) and especially Lucy (the spazzy black one)? I mean really...let's be real here. But anyways, I miss them lots and lots.
6. ...carpet still, especially as the weather gets colder and the tile floors do the same. Brrrrr! It's nippy noodles.
7. ...showers. My host family only has a bath. There is a shower head that you can hold up and use, but still. When I went to Venice last weekend it was so nice to shower! But also very tiring. By the time I get home I might not ever be able to shower again...standing up while bathing is getting hard for me. It wears me out. Really. This is not a joke. It's a little bit frightening, actually. I may be ruined. Uh-oh.
8. ...economy-size shampoo and conditioner. I buy conditioner like, once a week here because I can't find any bottles of it that are not dwarf-sized. Nutella however, comes in 16 liter containers. So that's nice. Very practical.
9. ...people who speak English. As much as I love the Italian language and learning it, it is nice to be able to just understand things without having to focus so hard you feel like you're about to go cross-eyed. Good grief.
10. ...pillows. For those of you who know how I sleep (which I hope is not many of you...), you know that I sleep with 6 pillows on my bed. Big fluffy, soft pillows. Here, I have one pillow, one, and it is about as thick as a piece of paper folded in half. Again, good grief. I think my neck is going to fall off, or something to that effect. Maybe..? Whatever. It's a bad situation.
11. ...ice. It doesn't really exist here. All your drinks tend to be room temperature, rather than chilled, and ice doesn't exist. Also, on this same note, I very much miss drinking fountains as well.
12. ...public restrooms. Here, if you need to use the bathroom while wandering around the city or attending a site visit for one of your classes, for example, well, that's just too bad. No churches and very few museums have restrooms and public restrooms are incredibly hard to come by. If, by the hand of God, you do find a public restroom, you then have to proceed to pay up to 1,50 euro to use it. Appalling, I know. I have to stop here, because if I go on I will get very angry and worked up and things could get out of hand.

I love:
1. ...my host mom. She's my best friend. I love her so much. And today is her birthday :)
2. ...the down comforter that my host mom put on my bed last week. It is unbelievably warm and fluffy and comfy and cozy. So wonderful.
3. ...the endless sea of motorinas (for those of you among us who are slightly less educated in Italian transportation methods, motorinas are the vespas, motorcycles, etc.). I desperately wish I could own one. The women on those things inspire my life. Really.
4. ...ricciarelli cookies. They are the most delicious, scrumptious little cookies ever. They are super moist little almond cookies covered with powdered sugar and they straight up blow my mind every time I eat them, which is not often enough.
5. ...gelato. We've been over this already, so I'm not going to go any further.
6. ...the architecture. It's all amazing. I am constantly awed by the determination and resolve of the human spirit. They built some amazing buildings in this country, back in the day when you had to carry your marble up the wooden rafters to wherever you needed it by hand. Holy cow. That's unbelievable. They were truly remarkable.

That's all I've got for you for now. I am tired and in need of a pizzolino (baby nap). I will write again soon, when I have more clever and entertaining and wise and insightful things to say.

Love to you all.

Ciaooooo! :)

P.S. I couldn't resist adding this picture of my father. The night before I left for Italy, my family and friends had a going-away dinner for me. I brought my camera so I could take pictures to bring with me so I wouldn't forget what everyone looks like. At one point, Connor (my brother), took my camera and was taking pictures. When I got to Italy a couple days later and uploaded the pictures from the dinner onto my computer, there was a series of pictures of my dad posing in various ways. This was the last pose. I literally laughed out loud when I saw it, and it still makes me so happy. The best part is, I obviously had no idea what was going on even though I am standing right in front of my dad. No one was aware that this little photoshoot was happening. But it did happen. And my dad cracks me up. And I love this picture so much. And I miss my daddy. And I love him tons :)

No comments:

Post a Comment